Friday, October 3, 2008

Korean Disability Resistance Song

Even We Crawl, Even We Die

Birds in the sky, do not laugh at me
Winds in the desert, do not laugh at me
No hands, no feet, no legs
I am going to live, even if I crawl, I will live eventually.
Even if I die, even if I die, I will live again

No hands, no feet, no legs,
I will live again, even if I crawl, I will live eventually.
Even if I die, even if I die, I will live again eventually.

Oh my blood, burning in my vein,
Even if I die, even if I die, I will live again in the end
For the day of liberation...

***
The photos below are from the book No More Murders, in Korean and English. Below is a photo of police attacking disabled demonstrators attempting to set up a tent city in Gwanghwamun train station. As you can see, a policeman is straddling Mr. Yeong-seok Park in the wheelchair to try to subdue him:

Police attack demonstrators at Gwanghwamun

This next photo is a picture of a disabled mother and nondisabled son. The mother is on oxygen and holds a sign protesting the gap between trains and platforms, because they are not negotiable for people with disbailities:

Mother and son demonstrate against inaccessible trains

And below is a third and final photo of demonstrators struggling against police to take over a bus without a lift:

Demonstrators and police struggle for control of a bus

No comments: