Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Everything That Rises Must Converge

Many know the title of this blog post as the title of a collection of short stories by Flannery O'Connor (and some know the original source as Pierre Teilhard de Chardin)---but that everything that rises must converge is truly what we've got to believe for feminist disability rights. The question that's pressing on me is, how do we rise and how do we converge?

Over the last few days especially, I've been shooting emails out my wazoo (whatever you care to belive my wazoo is) to people in all the cities on my itinerary. So far, I've gotten an amazing response from folks in different places, and I cannot wait to debrief on it all as the trip proceeds. I don't wanna holler out the plans so far in case they change, but it looks like in several cities we will have community gatherings of women to talk about our issues and how we need to do the work of advocacy. It is SO incredibly exciting.

At this point there are a lot of people I need to thank....Carolyn and Sharon and Glenn and Dougie from Australia, Hong Sunghee and Bae Bogjoo and Kim Mijoo and Mirah Kang from Seoul, and Robert Kim, and Jeewon and Gabe, and Howard, and Kerrie and Mark and Eleanor and Mia from Atlanta, and Sarah W and Bob and Stephanie from Austin, and Peg from Houston, and Marsha K and Marsha C and Jude and Mary and Rosemary and Bob from Montana, and Naomi and Lisa and Kristen, and Anne and Becca from DC, and Julie from NYC, and Robyn and Laura, and Rahnee and Sarah and Laura O-G and Susan and Ana and Jenny..... and a whole boatload of Access Living and ADAPT and FRIDA and Equip for Equality people!!!...without your networks this entire thing would not be possible at all. I think my brain is going to give out thinking of everyone's names!

But we're rising...

No comments: